Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Lesson Learned

I was very close to my grandfather who died of lung cancer. I was eleven at the time of his death.

He had two lakes on his property. One day, as he was walking with me, I stepped close to the edge of the water. He quickly said, "there are some bugs that will get all over you, right there."
I quickly stepped back.

Years had passed and I was married and visiting my father and mother who had bought my grandfather's home and land. My daddy and I were walking around the lakes, so similar to the day I walked it, as a child, with my grandfather.

I asked, "Dad, what kind of bugs were near the water?" He looked at me with a grin and said, "Why do you ask?" Eyeing him, I replied, "Because PaPaw told me as a little girl that I had to stay away from that (pointing) place right there because of this unique bug." As those words left my lips I knew...I had learned a lesson...

There were no bugs...but there was a wise grandfather who knew he had a very curious granddaughter and he knew that he would not be around long to watch over me. So he gave me a life lesson...

Stay away from the water...

I love my grandfather...and my dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment